- Sponsor: Joint Forces Command HQ Brunssum, PO Box 270, 6440 AG Brunssum, the Netherlands.
- Term: The Contest begins 1 Dec, 2009 and ends 30 Apr 2010. Submissions will be accepted until 31 Mar, 2010, with one month after reserved for voting only.
- Eligibility: The “Afghanistan Matters” Photo Contest (the Contest) is open to persons who have reached the age of majority in their jurisdiction of residence at the time of entry. JFC HQ Brunssum personnel involved in judging or determining eligibility of contest submissions are not eligible to compete. This offer is void where prohibited by law or national service regulations.
- Agreement to Official Rules: Participation in the Contest constitutes a participant’s full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor, which are final and binding. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
- Contest Period: You may submit an entry to the Contest between 1 Dec 2009 and 31 Mar 2010, inclusive. Sponsor’s computer is the official time keeping device for the Contest. A minimum of ten (10) entries (submitted by separate individuals) must be entered into the contest and received by the sponsor at the end of the contest period. If a minimum of the ten (10) (submitted by separate individuals) entries are not received by the end of the contest period, at the sole discretion of the sponsor, the contest will be void and no prizes will be awarded.
- To Enter: A contest entry consists of: one (1) digital image that is identified by the contestant, and agreed by the Sponsor, to fit in one of the four (4) categories listed below, in accordance with the guidelines in paragraphs 6 and 7 below. Contest entry must either be emailed to sponsor, (firstname.lastname@example.org) in accordance with instructions on that web site. In addition, to qualify, contestant must provide (via email) name, nationality, and email addresses and phone numbers for contact during and immediately after the contest period. Contestant should also provide a caption describing the photo, including details such as date, location, etc. as appropriate, and the category in which the photo is being entered. Contestant should indicate whether or not his or her name should be publicly displayed (“anonymous” is an option for web site display). In addition, contestants should include a signed statement that states “I have read and agree with the Official Contest Rules.” Emails should be sent to email@example.com, preferably accompanying the photo. [Clarification added 22 Dec 09: There is currently no limit to the number of entries that may be submitted; however, contestants are encouraged to select their best photos in order to avoid overwhelming the burden on the public who will be asked to rate photos in selecting winners.]
- Contest Terms of Submission. Photographs must be in digital format but need not have been taken with a digital camera. All digital files must be 5 megabytes or smaller, must be in JPEG or JPG format, and must be at least 1600 pixels in their largest dimension. Minor correction, hand tinting, and cropping are acceptable. Photographs that include sculptures, statues, paintings and other works of art will be accepted as long as they do not constitute copyright infringement or fraud. Contestant must be prepared to provide a release form (see paragraph 9). As conditions of entry into this Contest, and by mailing a Submission to Sponsor, each entrant warrants and represents that the entrant owns all rights to the submission he/she is entering in this contest, including, without limitation, that the submitted photograph is an original work created solely by the entrant, that the photograph does not infringe on the copyrights, trademarks, moral rights, rights of privacy/publicity or intellectual property rights of any person or entity, and that no other party has any right, title, claim, or interest in the photograph. Additionally, entrant warrants that the photograph has not been published previously in any medium; irrevocably grants to Sponsor and its affiliates, legal representatives, assigns, agents and licensees, the unconditional and perpetual right and permission to copyright (as appropriate), reproduce, encode, store, copy, transmit, publish, post, display, adapt, exhibit and/or otherwise use or reuse (without limitation as to when or the number of times used, the submitted photograph in any media throughout the world for any purpose, without limitation, and without additional review, compensation (except if required by law), or approval from the Entrant or any other party. Forever waives any rights of privacy, intellectual property rights, and any other legal or moral rights that may preclude the Sponsor’s use of the Entrant’s Submission, or require the Entrant’s permission for Sponsor to use them for any purpose, and agrees to never sue or assert any claim against the Sponsor’s use of those Materials. Agrees to indemnify and hold the Sponsor and its respective affiliates and employees harmless from any and all claims, damages, expenses, costs and liabilities brought or asserted by any third party against the Sponsor or its affiliates or employees, due to or arising out of the Entrant’s Submissions, including but not limited to trademark, copyright, or other intellectual property rights, right of publicity, right of privacy or defamation. Agrees to release, indemnify and hold harmless Sponsor from any and all claims that any commercial, advertising, presentation, web content or any other material subsequently produced, presented, and/or prepared by or on behalf of the sponsor or the Sponsor infringes on the rights of the Entrant’s work as contained in any Submission. [Clarification added 22 Dec 09: Entrant is not required to transfer ownership of the photo to contest sponsor and retains ownership and rights to the photo. However, by entering the contest, entrant additionally grants rights to contest sponsor to reproduce the photo on venues including but not limited to the contest web site, Facebook Page, Flickr feed, and media promoting the contest].
- Submission may not contain, include or involve any of the following (as determined by the Sponsor in its sole discretion): obscene, profane, lewd, defamatory content; crude, vulgar or offensive pictures, depictions, images, language, gang signs and/or symbols. Gratuitous violence. Nudity, explicit graphic or sexual activity. Commercial products such as clothing, toys, food and/or their trademarks, brands, logo or endorsements. Hard liquor use or product images. License plates, name tapes or identification, phone numbers, personal addresses (physical or email) or otherwise. Illegal drug or alcohol use or abuse. Derogatory characterizations of any ethnic, racial, sexual or religious groups, humiliate other people (publicly or otherwise), any assault or threatening of others. Material which defames Afghan culture or Islam is specifically prohibited. Trespass or the violation of other people (publicly or otherwise) or their property, any assault or threatening of others. Illegal (discriminatory, harassing) or inappropriate activity, behaviour or conduct (i.e. inflicting emotional distress). Revealing classified or sensitive techniques, tactics or procedures. Any other content, display, materials and/or images that is or could be considered inappropriate, unsuitable or offensive, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. All submissions must be suitable for publication as determined in the sole discretion of Sponsor. Entrants may not copy or otherwise plagiarize the Submission from any source. Any Entry not in compliance with the above and does not meet Contest requirements will be disqualified. All submissions will be reviewed for content before being published or judged; however, such review does not relieve the Entrant from responsibility for compliance with the Official Rules.
- If the photograph contains any material or elements that are not owned by the entrant and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the photograph, the entrant is responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, permission necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the manner set forth in these Official Rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any photograph is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the consent of a parent or legal guardian is required.
- Selection of Winners: Once Submissions have been received and deemed to be in compliance with Official Rules at the Sponsor’s discretion, qualifying Entries will be posted on http://afghanistanmatters.com. Pending the validity of email addresses provided, qualified Entrants will be notified that the general public has until 30 Apr 2010 to rate all entries. The average rating at the end of the contest period will be used to determine “people’s choice” prize winners for each of four categories: Beautiful Afghanistan; People of Afghanistan; ISAF in action; and ANSF in action. Entrants are free to publicize their Submission and encourage others to rate their Submission positively, but may not offer monetary or other rewards to do so. If evidence suggests the use of financial or other incentives to encourage ratings, the Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify such Entries. In the event that a potential winner of a prize is disqualified for any reason, at Sponsor’s sole discretion, will choose another potential winner from the remaining eligible submissions. Further, a panel of judges to be constituted at Sponsor’s discretion will select a Grand Prize winner from the top three photos, as rated by the public, in each of the four categories. Prizes: Grand prize (1) winner will receive a camera, valued at approximately $1500 US; four (4) “people’s choice” winners will receive digital cameras valued at approximately $350 US each. Each contestant is only eligible to win one prize. Winners are responsible for all taxes and fees associated with prize receipt and/or use. Total value of prizes approximately $3,000 US. [Clarification added 22 Dec 09: Each contestant is limited to winning a single prize. Thus, if a category/people's choice winner is selected as the grand prize winner, he/she will win the (more valuable) grand prize, and the category prize will go to the runner-up for that category]
- Releases and Limitations of Liability: Except where prohibited, by registering and/or participating in the Contest, respondents agree to release and hold harmless the sponsor, its related companies, and its respective officers, directors, employees, and agents (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of the preparation for or actual participation in the contest or receipt or use of the prize, including, but not limited to: (a) unauthorized human intervention in the Contest; (b) technical errors related to computers, servers, providers, or telephone or network lines; (c) printing errors; (d) lost, late, postage-due, misdirected, or undeliverable mail; (e) errors in the administration of the Contest; (f) loss or damage to Submissions; or (g) injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from participant’s preparation for or participation in the Contest of receipt or use of the prize. Except where prohibited, participant agrees that (a) any and all claims, judgments, and awards allowed under the Official Rules shall be limited to out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with participation in the Contest but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (b) under no circumstances will participant be permitted to obtain awards for, and participant hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. Some jurisdictions do not allow the limitation or exclusion of liability for incidental or consequential damages, so the above may not apply to you.
- Disputes: Entrant agrees that (a) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest, or any prize awarded, other than those concerning the administration of the Contest or the determination of winners, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; (b) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest, or any prizes awarded, shall be resolved by Belgian law. (c) any and all claims, judgments, and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering the Contest, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (d) under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. Some jurisdictions do not allow the limitations or exclusion of liability for incidental or consequential damages, so the above may not apply to you. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the entrant and Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with the laws of Belgium.
- Results: For a list of winners, email request to firstname.lastname@example.org, two weeks after the contest has concluded.